Saturday, May 28, 2016

Movie Time: Jack Black for the Win!

Usually when something looks extremely cheesy and based on things that are so lame I cant understand how they became popular (like Pokémon and Power Rangers), I avoid it at all cost.

RL Stine wrote 87 Goosebumps stories between 1992 and 2000. The books were aimed at young teenagers and all had campy horror themes like famous movie monsters, ghosts, and other creepy things. I actually never read any of the books, but I do recognize the cover art. The books were everywhere when I was a kid.
Hollywood recently added a movie to the franchise (of course they did, no original ideas in Hollywood for the last 15 years). It looks awful. However, a friend of mine defended the recent Goosebumps movie as being a pretty good family comedy. I was skeptical, and the fact that it was made in 2015 and already streaming on Netflix is probably not a good sign. But I watched it the other day and I was pleasantly surprised.

The best part, obviously, were the evil gnomes! Definitely the best part of the movie. These critters are little terminators. We get to watch them get smashed, fed to a disposal, melted in an oven, caught in bear traps and still come out fighting. I recommend the movie for this alone.


No comments: